Re: chopped minis

To: gerry@probe.att.com
Subject: Re: chopped minis
From: dixon@fourfold.pc.ocunix.on.ca (dixon kenner)
Date: Thu, 28 May 1992 22:50:22 -0400
gerry@probe.att.com writes:

> There used to be a company in the UK which lowered the roof of Mini's,
> I think widened them by a couple of inches and then lowered the suspension
> as well. I have a pictures at home of one, and it looks very nice, although
> at first glance, you have a hard time working out what they have done
> to the car. I think it was Broadspeed who did the conversions, the last
> time I saw one for sale, the price was very high

The chopped Mini's were originally made by S&A London and were called Mini
Sprints.  Not many were made.  Conversion of the standard Cooper S started
with the car being stripped of all components, trim and electrics.  The
body-shell was lowered by removing one and a half inches between the floor
and the waistline and a similar amount from between the waist and roof.
All external flanges were removed and transformed into butt or lap welds.
The front lights were removed and wings reshaped to accept Cibies.  Front
seat frames were lowered and the seat reclined.  A second series of cars,
known as Sprint GTs took the roof down a further one and a quarter inches.
The rake of the windscreen was increased.

The Broadspeed GT was a chopped Mini with lowered suspension.  It was five
inches shorter than a normal Mini.  The screen was raked and the rear was
designed as a fastback with a bob-tail that had a slight spoiler effect.
It had limited appeal becasue it was classed as a GT.

Both were made by different companies.

Rgds,

--
dixon kenner, dixon@fourfold.pc.ocunix.on.ca
FourFold Symmetry, Breckenridge, Quebec, Canada