Re: Commission-number plate stamping

To: cobra@cdc.hp.com
Subject: Re: Commission-number plate stamping
From: whs70@dancer.cc.bellcore.com (sohl,william h)
Date: 29 May 1992 12:49 EDT
>> >   Speaking of commission numbers: my commission-number plate is in
>> >   fairly bad shape, so I thought to buy a new one from TRF, but they
>> >   won't stamp the numbers in it.
>>
>Make sure that everything is well documented before you install a newly
>stamped commission plate.  Most states have very strict laws regarding
>this.  In some cases it's a criminal offense to tamper with I.D. plates
>installed by the factory.  At the very least you could run into grief
>when you sell the car.  Clear this with your local DMV first.
>Roland

While that is generally true, I've never heard of anyone having
any problems with new plates on "collector" cars.  There was a
"situation" in Pennsylvannia where the state charged a vendor(s)
with violation of the state law for selling blank plates, I don't
know how it turned out, but such blank plates for almost any
common collectable car are still readily available.

As for telling the DMV, that (IMHO) will open up a big "can-o-worms"
and maybe be more harmful than helpful.  I'd say as long as the
new plate has the old info the same, who's ever gonna be the
wiser?

Just my .02, your mileage may vary with use.
Standard Disclaimer- Any opinions, etc. are mine and NOT my employer's.
Bill Sohl (K2UNK) BELLCORE (Bell Communications Research, Inc.)
Morristown, NJ             email via UUCP      bcr!dancer!whs70
201-829-2879 Weekdays      email via Internet  whs70@dancer.cc.bellcore.com