Re: VIN plates

To: woodruff%pow.engin.umich.edu@srvr2.engin.umich.edu
Subject: Re: VIN plates
From: bobj@meaddata.com (Robert Jones)
Date: Fri, 29 May 92 16:13:01 EDT
From: William Hartwell Woodruff <woodruff@engin.umich.edu>

|>         Just my 0.02 worth on the I.D. plate.  I had left my car on
|> the interstate shoulder when it had broken down.  A police officer
|> stopped and looked it over.  He couldn't find the VIN numbers and
|> had the car towed as a stolen vehicle.  Through this experience, I found
|> out more than I wanted to know about the legalities of removing
|> you I.D. plates.  In short, you are not supposed to do it.  Most
[stuff deleted]

|> Woodruff@caen.engin.umich.edu

Okay, what about this situation: you buy a car without stopping to check
the VIN numbers and later you realize that they have all been removed
at some point in the car's life.  The commission number is still there.
What can be done to get VIN numbers for the car?

Any help on this would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob