VIN plates

To: sol@hoosier.utah.edu
Subject: VIN plates
From: jesup@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com (Randell Jesup)
Date: Fri, 29 May 92 22:43:54 EDT
        Sprites and Midgets (at least 60's ones) have no visible VIN plates
(modern cars have them visible through the windshield), but instead they're
in the engine compartment.  Even more amusing, they're held on by screws,
not rivits.

        I must admit to swapping the plates once or twice while trying to
keep one of my fleet of rusty sprites running while a student, long ago.
I always eventually put them back, though.  (Police are unlikely to know
that a Sprite with a folding top ('67) wouldn't be HAN8L/56xxx, even if
they knew where to find the VIN.)

        As for Waxoyl, the british car mags I read did a test of rust
preventatives (fairly scientific, too).  Waxoyl worked well, but only when
it gets well-atomized in application.  They stated that the pump-sprayer used
by most hobbyists tends to drip and not cover fully (poor dispersal pattern).
They said that waxoyl was very good when used with a high-pressure air source
(compressor).

        Randell