Re: Oil in engine compartment

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Oil in engine compartment
From: acg@hermes.dlogics.com
Date: Mon, 03 Aug 1992 16:39:37 CDT
brucec@amex-trs.com (Bruce Carter) writes:
> I seem to be pumping oil out at an alarming rate. The location of said oil
> pumping station is located at the rear of the block where the return(?) for
> the oil filter and the line for the oil pressure gauge attach just above the
> petcock for coolant drain.

If I'm not mistaken, you are looking at an extremely grungy area of the engine
compartment, no? Is it possible that the leak may be above and/or forward of
the oil line and filter attachments? My experience has been that oil routinely
migrates to that area, what with air currents through the compartment and so
on, whereas the actual leak is elsewhere (usually a rocker cover gasket).
Perhaps you could give the area a good squirting of engine cleaner spray and
garden hose rinse, then see where the stuff is coming from.

-- Andy