Re: Oil in engine compartment

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Oil in engine compartment
From: acg@hermes.dlogics.com
Date: Wed, 05 Aug 1992 10:54:19 CDT
> That was how I determined that I have an oil leak there. The head is
> clean and there are no trace marks of oil getting down to that area of
> the engine. (ie. no oil on Dist., no oil on side of block, etc...)

Oh, bummer. Well, break out the teflon tape or whatever, then. 't's funny;
I've never seen connections put together with teflon that spring leaks
after a while, even after years. Guess your mileage may vary...

Ooh, ooh, wait a minute! I did have a leak once in an oil pressure line
after an R-and-R on it. There's a little compression barrel that slides
over the capillary line in between the end of the pipe and the end cap
that screws down onto it. I had to snip off the end of the line with the
old barrel on it and use a new one in order to get a good seal. I guess
you can only compress the barrel once; after it's deformed to make a
tight seal, you can't remove it and reinstall the line again without it
leaking. This was on an aftermarket pressure gauge, but the principle is
probably the same on yours, if you've got the same little barrel type of
seal on the line.

-- Andy