Re: Backfiring

To: gerry@probe.att.com, british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Re: Backfiring
From: sggy@crux1.cit.cornell.edu (Roger Garnett)
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 1992 11:01:49 -0400
gerry@probe.att.com scribed:
 Subject: Backfiring
> ROGER writes ::::
>
> > Standard mixture rule: (Murphy aside)
> > Backfiring on acceleration is usually due to running lean. (carb spits)
> > Backfiring on decelleration is usually due to running rich. (boom in
> > exhaust becomes more apparent with low restriction mufflers.)
>
> Are you sure ? I always thought the same, however

> So now I am all confused !!! -

That's why I gave proper credit to Murphy! But- this should be true
for the most common examples. I've seen plenty of cars with leaks
in the intake manifold make all sorts of noise when you step on it-
real lean. And, I know what good vacuum, off-throttle sounds like
going down hill.

I think I'll defer any Webber specifics to mjb tho...

   ________
  /___  _  \        Roger Garnett              (Roger_Garnett@cornell.edu)
 /|   ||  \ \       Agricultural Economics   | "The South Lansing Centre
| |___||  _  |      3 Warren Hall            |  For Wayward Sports Cars"
| | \  |   | |      Cornell University       | (Lansing, NY)
 \|  \ |__/ /       Ithaca, N.Y. 14853-7801  | (607) 533-7735
  \________/        (607) 255-2522           | Safety Fast!