Re: RED LINE WaterWetter

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: RED LINE WaterWetter
From: acg@hermes.dlogics.com
Date: Wed, 05 Aug 1992 18:27:21 CDT
"Chris Kent Kantarjiev" <cak@parc.xerox.com> writes:
> What a lot of folks realize is that a 33% mix of glycol transfers
> heat better than either straight water or the usually recommended 50%
> mix.

Beg pardon? My understanding was that glycol doesn't transfer heat better
than water, though it does raise the boiling point.

> If you're having cooling problems, you might be well advised to
> just try running with less glycol rather than buying some expensive
> miracle mix.
> (Note that the instructions on the bottle say "Less than 50% antifreeze
> provides further improvement in temperature reduction.")

Right. Less glycol, more water = better heat transfer. Racers don't use
glycol at all, as someone else pointed out, partly because it's incred-
ibly slippery on the track if spilled, but partly because plain water
is really good at heat transfer. Water Wetter makes it a bit better.

-- Andy