Re: RED LINE WaterWetter

To: acg@hermes.dlogics.com
Subject: Re: RED LINE WaterWetter
From: "Chris Kent Kantarjiev" <cak@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 1992 22:39:26 PDT
        Beg pardon? My understanding was that glycol doesn't transfer heat
better
        than water, though it does raise the boiling point.

That's #3 should be along any minute...

Right. Here's what I really wnated to say: When it comes to accepting
and rejecting heat, pure water is best. Unfortunately, pure water does
not control corrosion well and has a relatively low boiling point. You
can add up to 30% anti-freeze without dramatically changingg its heat
rejection rate, but beyond that the ability to reject heat falls rapidly.

Rather than running a gallon of glycol to a gallon of water, it would
be better to put two quarts of glycol and finish with water. That will
control corrosion, increase the boiling temperature of the cooland, and
still be close to optimally efficient in cooling.

And yes, if you're running pure water and don't want to add glycol
(because, say, you're a racer and don't want to spill it on the track),
then by all means use WaterWetter. If, on the other hand, you're trying
to help your street car, first try running with a little less glycol in the mix.