Blasting

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Blasting
From: gerry@probe.att.com
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 92 07:49 EDT
Eric Olson writes :::

> I've got an air compressor & painting equipment (courtesy of
> grandfather), and have borrowed a sandblaster from a friend.  But I
> don't want to start blasting until I have primer in hand to cover
> that nice clean metal.

Watch out with sandblasters, if you have never used one, you will
surprised where all that sand  gets to. If you are blasting, without
removing most of the mechanical components, you find sand will probably
find its way into the engine, gearbox, brakes.......

I sandblasted once for 5 minutes and was astounded that the sand gets
blown everywhere. Even with the window and doors shut I found sand in the
interior of the car.

Also there is a serious chance of warping large panels, like doors and hoods.
I have read many horror stories in "Classic & ThoroughBred" magazine about
people farming out doors etc to be sandbalsted and coming back with
the items so badly distorted that they had to purchase replacements.

I usually farm out small items to be blasted, like suspension components,
wheels etc. But for body panels, what works for me is paint stripper,
sandpaper, and lots of hard work !!!

Gerry