TR6/prices

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: TR6/prices
From: jtc@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (James A. TenCate)
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 92 09:48:49 -0500
I'd like to request the assistance of the collective net.wisdom.

My friend Pete is going to sell his TR6 to a friend and we're
trying to determine a "fair" price for it.  My "fair" I mean the
average between (1) seller's desired price and (2)  buyer's
desired price.  Ideally, this "fair" price is what a good
appraiser would come up with.  I realize it's pretty hard to do
this without actually seeing the car but I'm just trying to get a
ballpark number.  Send your responses to me directly.  That way
we won't clutter the network.  If you're interested in the
results, write me back in a few days and I'll post you what I've
found out.  (Yes, we DID already have a local TR6 owner look it
over -- thanks Roger!)  Here's a description.

1974 TR6, wire wheels, runs good  (just kidding :-)

1974 TR6 (built Nov 83), wire wheels, overdrive.  Pete is
probably the 3rd owner.  The car is probably mostly all original.
It doesn't look like it's been exposed to the dreaded
local-corner-mechanic syndrome.  Everything seems to be there.
EXTERIOR  Needs new top, paint (maroon) is quite badly faded.
(The car lived in Louisiana and central TX and was not garaged
for the last 5 years or so.)  Body is straight, with virtually no
rust.  Windshield cracked and hazy.  Wire wheels in pretty bad
shape too (they likely need to be sandblasted and trued); needs
new tyres.  INTERIOR  No carpet, needs new transmission tunnel,
veneer on dash splitting, all guages/lights work.  Driver's seat
is torn, passenger's is probably OK.  Door panels warped but not
torn.  Dash cracked in spots.  ENGINE  Car cranks right up.  Runs
pretty well too!  Good oil pressure.  Roger thinks a valve job
would still be in order though.  Engine compartment dirty; a bit
of rust near battery box.  It probably has mostly all original
parts in there (including some green radiator hoses!)
Remarkable.  (All those original parts will probably need to be
replaced about now too.)  Car passed Texas State Inspection a
little less than a year ago so all the important stuff works.
DRIVELINE  Rear U joints about gone.  Gearbox feels fine.
Overdrive currently doesn't work (likely an electrical problem).

So, what do all you TR6 afficionados think?  What "fair" price
would YOU attach to this car?

Thanks in advance,
Jim TenCate
jtc@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu