Re: Re: Dot4 >> DOT5

To: acg@hermes.dlogics.com
Subject: Re: Re: Dot4 >> DOT5
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 92 09:10:38 pdt
> Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1992 09:49:11 CDT
> From: acg@hermes.dlogics.com
> To: british-cars@autox.team.net
> Cc: acg@hermes.dlogics.com
> Subject: Re: Dot4 >> DOT5
>
> william sadler <wsadler@copper.ucs.indiana.edu> writes:
> > Since I have to rebuild my master cylinder I thought I would switch
> > from DOT4 to DOT5 brake fuid in the interest of saving my paint.
> >
> > Do I really have to replace every single wheel cylinder in the car?
> > Or can I just flush the system with DOT5 several times?
>
> Here's the official Party Line, as forwarded to me a while back from
> someone's FAQ list (I think in the rec.autos newsgroup):
>
> <begin_quote>

          [FAQ stuff delete]

One additional comment not covered in the FAQ blurb which I think is
relevant to William Sadler's question:  While DOT5 brake fluid will not
damage the existing paint on your car it could cause problems if
you ever plan to repaint.  Silicone is very difficult to remove even
with strong solvents.  Your new paint job could end up with "fisheyes".
If you use DOT5 fluid it's probably a good idea to avoid getting any on
painted surfaces, at least in areas where the quality of the finish is
important to you.

BTW, an Eezibleed (and similar devices) makes changing brake fluid
relatively painless.

Roland