MGB Cont. - Weber soft mount kits

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: MGB Cont. - Weber soft mount kits
From: bobj@meaddata.com (Robert Jones)
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 92 13:50:33 EDT
Hi again.  No the '74 MGB (with '69 engine & Weber) that you've heard
so much about is not running.  It was yesterday and it was this morning,
but it is not now.  Right now it is sitting in the parking lot here at
work with the carburator removed, the top down, and its owner praying the
daily rains of tropical rain forest Dayton hold off.

Here is what has happened since the last time I whined about my backfiring
problem (and no it isn't me that's backfiring, it's my car :-).  I did
some testing to see if I had vacuum leaks and it seemed that I did (idle
would increase slightly when I sprayed stuff on the manifold-carb junction.)
So I went and bought a new soft mount kit for the Weber last week.  I got
it installed Monday night and got the car running fairly reasonbly (still
backfires & misses, but not nearly as much before.)  Feeling brave I drove
the car to work yesterday without major hassles, though when I got home
I noticed a slight bit of gas on the bottom side of the carb (I have
always had this problem, though it has never been major.)

Being short of time last night, I put off doing anything about it and being
stupid I drove the again car today.  About halfway to work this morning
the throttle spring broke (just to tell me I shouldn't have driven it today),
making the last two miles of driving more interesting than I would
have liked.  Here at work I popped the hood and found not only was
the spring missing, but gas was DRIPPING out of the carb going
"drip-pssss, drip-pssss" as it dripped on the hot exhaust
manifold.  YIKES! At lunch I got a ride home and drove the never-fail
Mazda in with some tools (why do I keep hearing "miata" in the back of
my mind this summer?)  My plan was to yank the carb and put some
gasket goop on the gasket at the bottom of the float bowl to seal it up.

Upon removal of the carb (45 DCOE 9) I found that one of the soft mount
thingies was broken.  I also found raw gas sitting in the intake manifold.
Now I am wondering if there is something wrong with the float/needle/seat.
Anyway, my question for those of you with side draught Webers, what
kind of soft mount kits (the thing between carb & intake) do you have?
The old ones I have is just like 1/8" rubber cut to the right size.
The new ones are platic circles with grooves on each side that ~1/8"
diameter rubberbands fit into.  On first look I liked the new ones better,
but the old ones never broke.

Sigh.  At least I had it running decently for a day.

Bob The Wanker.