Car Randomly Dies

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Car Randomly Dies
From: brucec@amex-trs.com (Bruce Carter)
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1992 09:55:01 -0700
Well, when you think nothing else can go wrong something always does.
Last night on my way home from work and dinner the car decides to just
quit. I mean really quits, everything quit, the lights give out, the
radio quit, and the engine ceased to fire. Then all of a sudden I got
this big shotgun sounding backfire with an accompanying BIG, like REALLY
BIG black puff of smoke from the tail pipe. Yes the muffler is still
intact, and in the correct shape.

My question has anybody ever had this problem? It is on a '77 MGB, with
a '65 high compression engine, it has an altenator as opposed to a
generator. Everything else is pretty much a '77 I think, don't hold me
to this though.

I am getting ready to replace the front motor mounts. They are in
serious need of some attention. A question that comes to mind is, if the
motor mounts are bad enough could I be stressing the wiring harness and
causing something to be pulled and a connection be lost? What is really
strange is that when it decided to quit last night I was stopped at a
red light, and I had been sitting there for a little while, in fact the
light was getting ready to change back to green when this happened. So
one would theorize that it is not the wiring harness that is causing the
problem.

Any theories, comments suggestions, etc. are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Bruce...