Oilscan

To: SOL <british-cars@hoosier>
Subject: Oilscan
From: berry@athos.pei.com (Berry Kercheval)
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 92 14:07:04 PDT
>said:

Philip> Tim Pettenati writes>

>Also took an oil sample to AAA to
>have the 'Oilscan' analysis done,  this is something I've wanted to try for
>a while, and for $10 it seems like a good deal.  Anyways all results were
>normal. The oilscan checks for coolant, fuel, blowby, bearing & ring
>materials, and about 15 other components in order to try and determine the
>internal health of your engine.

Philip> Has anybody else done this?  What do they do, put it in a mass spec?
Philip> I suppose you have to be a member to get this done.

I believe that oil analysis uses gas chromatography.  It may use a
mass spec. because I've seen printouts that list trace elements, handy
for tracking bearing wear.

The use of oil analysis is common in the aircraft industry.  If
there's any interest I'll dig up a few names; I'm sure as long as your
money folds right they won't care if the oil sample comes from a car
or a plane or your lawn mower!

  --berry

--
Berry Kercheval :: berry@pei.com :: Protocol Engines, Inc.  Mt. View, CA
"And there's more where that came from!"