oilscan

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: oilscan
From: William Hartwell Woodruff <woodruff@engin.umich.edu>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 92 11:30:12 -0400
        I rebuilt the transmission in a SAAB which had failed
for no apparent reason.  After some discussion with the owner,
I found out that the fluid had just been changed.  I think they
put the wrong type of fluid in.  As the 900 turbo automatic is
already taxed, I think this allowed the clutches to slip and
fail.  I was wondering if an oilscan could detect what type of
fliud was put in.  It is supposed to have the Ford spec fluid
in it.  I know this might seem far-fetched, but there was just
no reason for that transmission to fail.  All the seals were in
great shape (still flexible) and everything was within spec.

woodruff@caen.engin.umich.edu