Re: TR6 oil pressure gauge

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR6 oil pressure gauge
From: rbt%dracut@keps.kodak.com (Bob Tufts)
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 92 17:16:54 EDT
Phil writes:

Bob Tufts writes >

>I once had to move my Esprit(Smith's guages) while the
>guage panel was removed. ...  After moving the
>car I looked down to find my pants leg soaked with oil.

This surprises me.  The Smiths oil-pressure gauge in my Europa is electric.
I wouldn't have thought Lotus would change to a direct gauge on a mid-engine
car.

Come on Phil, you know better! We're taking "Lotus" here. Logic has no bearing
here (but price does). The plastic tube must be cheaper than a sender unit!
The truth probably was that Smith's offered LOtus a package deal, and the
sender unit guage wasn't part of it. Either that, or Chapman got 3 miles of
plastic tubing for free. He had to been given Voltage stabilizers for free,
because there is no excuse for Turbo Esprits using them in the mid eighties
when solid state voltage regulation had been around since at least the late
'60s (and besides reliability, it's cheap!).

And people claim an Esprit has no soul!  :-)

-Bob T.