Paint

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Paint
From: gerry@probe.att.com
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 92 10:49 EDT
 > Big problem:  You guys have given me the advice on how to get
 > gleaming clean parts, but no help on covering them back up!  Clearly
 > you've all done some parts stripping... what do you use?  Krylon? :-)
 > Seriously, I'd really appreciate a pointer to a good type of primer
 > and paint.

What's wrong with Krylon ???, I prefer Rustoleum myself, gives a better quality
orange peel finish and suprior fish-eyes !!!

Seriously thought I can offer a couple of pieces of advice :

- do not scimp on paint/primer quality, buy the best that you can afford. I
usually buy Ditzler or PPG products and have not been disappointed.

- preparation is the key to a good paint job. When you think that you have
finished preparing the surface, you are probably half way through the process.
It takes a lot of time and effort, again do not take short cuts, because the
paint will magnify all you mistakes.

- buy a good book on autobody painting, read it several times before proceeding.

After I have prepared the surface I put on several coats of primer/filler,
which are handrubbed. This will cover the metal and stop it from rusting while
you are working on othert parts. You can buy several different types of primer,
some have rust inhibitors, other fill better, others etch the metal etc etc.
I alsways use a laquer based primer, which dries very quickly, is easy to
use, and rubs out easily

Gerry