Powder paint I love you

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Powder paint I love you
From: Dick Nyquist <dickn@hpspdbc.spd.hp.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 92 9:56:03 PDT
| | Yes, the stuff is great.  Toro has been doing it for quite a while on
|mowers
| | and blowers.  Works fine, is easy to make the setup safe for the workers.
| |
| | But independent powder-coaters are making noises like $500 to do it on my
| | Europa frame.  This is not even in the ballpark for my budget.  It is
|actually
| | cheaper to get a wheel chromed in this town than powder-coated.
| |
| | Phil Ethier, THE RIGHT LINE, 672 Orleans Street, Saint Paul, MN   55107-2676

Phil
you might look at some other places. I get mine done for less then half that
price. The last frame I had done was $250 including more then 30 suspension
parts. That included cleaning and preping the frame and parts too. I had much
lower
prices from an other source but when we measured the oven it was just a bit too
short for the frame.

(for Northern California Sols)>> the outfit I used was Poly Engineering in
Richmond.
They offer a variety of powder materials with differing performance. Some are
better
at UV resistance, some more chemical resistant or more abrasion resistant. All
are better then regular paint. As I hoped to keep the car with the sunny side
up and
the frame on the dark side, we optimized for chemical resistance.  8^)

They also recomended that after the frame was rough cleaned it be oven baked
BEFORE sand blasting. This is an extra baking step that gets any
grease or oil that is trapped to weep out and also to carbonize, so that after
sand blasting the frame is REALY clean. Otherwise it weeps out when you bake the
powder and you get poor adheasion around any rivited brackets or other places
that can trap oil. All this except the rough cleaning was included in the
price!!
I'm very impressed with this outfit. They did an excellent job at a good
prices and had it done when they said they would.

powder, as Phil said, is great stuff.
regards///dickn