Vc

To: The Good Old Days <BRITISH-CARS@HOOSIER>
Subject: Vc
From: Sebastian Welton <SWELTON@ESOC.BITNET>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 92 16:13:50 CET

>Garry Archer <archer@hsi.com> writes:
>> Capris with the 3.0 V6 (built at the Ford plant at Dagenham, Essex?  I
>> thought all engine building was done in Germany.  Perhaps it was just named
>> after the English plant?) were not exported to the US as far as I know.

>I think Dagenham did build engines. It is (or was) a HUGE plant, one of
>their biggest. I might be wrong, though; I know the euro-Capris (and the
>German-built Fiestas) use Behr ventilation systems, hardly a British brand,
>even though the Capris were built at Dagenham.

The original V6 'Essex' engine of 2,998cc was to be found in the Ford
Zodiac engines of the late 60's. It pushed out 144 bhp. When they introduced
the original Capri MKI it still had this same engine. When they introduced the
model known as the 'facelift' the power decreased to 138bhp. Eventually this
engine was phased out (it was also found in the Granada) in favour of the
2.3 and 2.8 which were used by cars on the Continent. The 2.8i (Cologne)
engine was fitted into the last of the Capri range. It's no disimiliar to
the old Essex engine, but is more powerful but less torque, this was due to
two of the inlet ports on the carb. manifold being siamesed but you could buy
a kit which allowed for three inlet ports.

>Sidenote: My uncle's pianola company in England uses a big Ford delivery
>van with a V4 (yes, V4) engine in it. Never had the heads off, but that
>thing must have had cylinders the size of coffee cans in it!

Probably a Transit. Not too sure about the new ones but older Transit vans
had the V4 engine found in the Capri and Corair in sizes of 1700cc and 2000cc.
It was originally made for something that would have to tow a trailer and it
was an awful engine (SAAB might have used them but I'm not too sure).

I also hear that Ford might ressurect the Capri.

Seb