Re: Restoration Questions

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Restoration Questions
From: "Andrew C. Green" <acg@hermes.dlogics.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1992 10:47:18 CDT
william sadler <wsadler@copper.ucs.indiana.edu> writes:
> The paint that is always recommended in Your Classic magazine is
> something called Hammerite.  It seems to be the first choice of
> anyone painting a suspension, but I have never seen it here.

I heard it called "Hammertone" when I was in England, but sho'nuff,
I have found it as "Hammerite" here in the states. It's available
at Handy Andy, which is one of those huge building supply or home
center chain stores, in the spray paint department.

The stuff puts down a marvelous, almost three-dimensional mottled
and textured surface, looking a bit like orange peel in appearance
but actually having a fairly smooth surface. It's available in a
variety of colors. I don't know if this description is accurate,
but when you see the stuff, you'll recognize the weird finish as
being the same type used on the movie projector stands and such
from your grade-school days...

Andrew C. Green
Datalogics, Inc.      Internet: acg@dlogics.com
441 W. Huron          UUCP: ..!uunet!dlogics!acg
Chicago, IL  60610    FAX: (312) 266-4473