removing an engine from an MGB '76

To: dan@gordian.com
Subject: removing an engine from an MGB '76
From: brucec@amex-trs.com (Bruce Carter)
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1992 17:20:26 -0700

Dan Lambright scribed:>
> the engine, which are connected to a hydrolic lift.   The four
> bolts connecting the transmision are out, as are both
> engine mounts.  When I start to raise the engine, it goes up

I don't know about '76 MGBs but my '77 MGB had six(6) bolts holding the
transmission to the engine. Two up top behind the head to the left and
right, two at the very bottom of the engine and tranmission where the
torsion relief bar that attaches to the crossmember that holds the
transmission to the car, and two more about half way between the other
four that was just described. One of them is just below where the
starter is attached to the bell housing. The other one is of course on
the opposite side of the bell housing.

After that I don't have a clue as to why it won't seperate. Have you
tried a pry bar to seperate the two? (I do not recommend this, may cause
damage to the bell housing, and or the transmission.)

Bruce...