Re: removing an engine from an MGB '76

To: dan@gordian.com
Subject: Re: removing an engine from an MGB '76
From: pwv@tc.fluke.COM (Pat Vilbrandt)
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 92 15:54:59 PDT
>From dan@gordian.com (Dan Lambright):

> I've been having trouble removing my MGB '76 engine/transmition.
> Maybe I'm going about it wrong.  I've got two chains wrapped around
> the engine, which are connected to a hydrolic lift.   The four
> bolts connecting the transmision are out, as are both
> engine mounts.  When I start to raise the engine, it goes up
> about 4 inches, then something gets caught, near the back.
> I suppose, at this point, I should pull the engine forward to free
> up the transmition so it can be raised as well.  But no go,
> it won't move forward, no matter how hard I pull.

You need to support the transmission with a floor jack, or something
else suitable, to balance the forces of you trying to pull everything
up and out of the car, and the transmission and drive train trying to
stay put.  Once you've gotten the engine slightly raised so that it's
free of the motor mounts, and you have gently raised up on the transmission
with the floor jack to remove the weight from the transmission input shaft,
the engine should slide forward off of the transmission.  (Assuming, of
course, that you *really* have all of the fasteners removed from the
engine-bell housing attachment.)

   Pat Vilbrandt       John Fluke Mfg. Co., Inc.        Everett, Washington USA
UUCP: pwv@tc.fluke.COM  or: { uunet, uw-beaver, sun, microsoft }!fluke!pwv
ARPA: fluke!pwv@uw-beaver.ARPA

        "Can't wait until I get the car back into the condition I was
         going to disassemble it to"
                                        -TeriAnn J. Wakeman