To: british-cars@autox.team.net (british-cars@autox.team.net)
Subject: RE> tale of woe
From: Bob Spidell <spidell@hpcc01.corp.hp.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 92 9:21:34 PDT
WRT:

>In an effort to solve my overheating problems in the C I took it in and
>had a leak down test done.  Here are the results:
>
>Cyl. #  1     2     3     4      5    6
>com    40#   norm    -    -      -    -
>%loss  90    20     40    65     45   40
>
>I almost cried.  There is obviously a crack in the cylinder head
>between 1 and 3.  If you take out the spark plugs in those cylinders
>you can hear air coming out of 3.
>
>So, is it possible to repair a crack in a cylinder head or do I need
>a new one? (to the tune of $300-$400 used, $650 new)  The guy who

There are several ways to repair head cracks:

- the crack may be welded, if it can be reached with the welding rod

- the crack can be peened over (probably a temporary fix, at best)

- the crack can be "stiched" and peened; i.e. stop-drilled at each end,
  tapped and a special screw put in to stop further cracking.  The
  crack can then be peened and/or welded.

- there is another process, which involves some sort of ceramic material
  and is applied to racing engines routinely as a preventative measure

Most good machine shops can effect these repairs.  There are also
outfits who advertise in Hemmings Motor News who specialize in this
type of repair.

While you have the head off check the valves, seats, guides and springs.
Repair or replace as necessary.  If you don't have hardened seats installed
now is the time.

Regards,
bs