tale of woe

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: tale of woe
From: william sadler <wsadler@silver.ucs.indiana.edu>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1992 08:34:33 -0500
I drove through GRand Rapids, MI last weekend, but I didn't get to
go to the car show.  I did see many nice cars on the road.  A
perfect TR3 between South Bend and Indy, several MGBs and As,
including one pulling a trailer, and in Traverse City I saw
what looked like a _real_ 427 Cobra with some kids in it who
looked like they had Dad's car.  Maybe it was a kit?

In an effort to solve my overheating problems in the C I took it in and
had a leak down test done.  Here are the results:

Cyl. #  1     2     3     4      5    6
com    40#   norm    -    -      -    -
%loss  90    20     40    65     45   40

I almost cried.  There is obviously a crack in the cylinder head
between 1 and 3.  If you take out the spark plugs in those cylinders
you can hear air coming out of 3.

So, is it possible to repair a crack in a cylinder head or do I need
a new one? (to the tune of $300-$400 used, $650 new)  The guy who
works on the car wanted me to talk to someone who ahs worked on C engines
to find out if the repair would be feasible or not.  Unfortunately,
the only place I know to call is in England.

While I have the head off what should I do?  New valves?

Thanks,

Will

P.S.  The car runs fine right now in short city driving.  Should I stop
driving it for fear of further damage?

Thanks

Will