Moving violations, was re:....

To: cobra@cdc.hp.com
Subject: Moving violations, was re:....
From: whs70@dancer.cc.bellcore.com (sohl,william h)
Date: 25 Aug 1992 15:23 EDT
>> Speaking from experience, there may also be some legality
>> involved.  I once got a ticket for "Transporting Gasoline in a
>> non-DOT approved container".  How a gas tank qualifies as
>> that, I don't know, but there it is.  It wasn't a moving
>> violation, so I paid it and forgot about it...
>Mike,
>
>You could be mistaken about this.  An attorney once explain the
>definition of a moving violation to me as being cited while moving.
>Doesn't matter what you were cited for-- burned out tail light,
>dirty license plate or whatever.  It still a moving violation.
>Roland

Well, at least in NJ, a moving violation is only one in which you
actually do something wrong in th e process of driving the vehicle
in violation of some "moving" law (eg. speeding, illegal turns,
reckless driving, etc.)  Other things, defective headlight,
uninspected vehicle, improper credentials, etc are not considered
moving violations, regardless of if the car was in motion.

Standard Disclaimer- Any opinions, etc. are mine and NOT my employer's.
Bill Sohl (K2UNK) BELLCORE (Bell Communications Research, Inc.)
Morristown, NJ             email via UUCP      bcr!dancer!whs70
201-829-2879 Weekdays      email via Internet  whs70@dancer.cc.bellcore.com