moving cars

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: moving cars
From: William Hartwell Woodruff <woodruff@engin.umich.edu>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 92 15:32:46 -0400
        There have been some questions flying around about
transporting cars across the country.  I have been looking into this
problem for quite some time and perhaps I can give some advice.  As
you may recall, I want to get out to Salt Lake City and pick up a GT6
mk III from MJB.  I also need to get a car out east.  Renting a truck
is a VERY expensive proposition, generally you can plan on the better
part of a grand.  Renting a trailer or a car caddy is not much better
either.  I'd say you are looking at 250. +/- 100., then you have to
factor in gas and and time to go get it.  In my Bronco, I plan on
about 15 mpg when towing (16 when not :-)) so that can easily throw
another 300.00 (at least) on a trip across the country.  If you want
to move one car, the best options I have come up with are; 1. Lump it
and pay a service to get it here, this is 500.00 to 1000.00 to go
across the country.  2. find someone, by contacting local u-hauls and
ryders, who is making the trip and would pull a tow dolly behind their
truck for you.  If you envision moving cars around more than once, you
can buy a trailer and get the cars yourself.  This option (obviously)
gets cheaper the more you do it.  There are tons of trailers out
there.  The best deal on trailers I have found is from some town in
Missouri.  Apparently, they are the the 'Detroit' of trailers.  They
make several models of the same basic design.  In my estimate, 90% of
the trailers on the road are from this place.  They are dual axle flat
beds with wood floors.  They are rated to 5000 pounds, (this is a
hitch limit) but in reality the trailer could take 7500.  They start
at 850.00 (for one with used tires) and go up to 1300 or so (for ones
with brakes and new tires).

        So, if you want that California midget I'd say have it brought
here.  If you want to invest in your hobby (and be the envy of your
buddies) buy a trailer, you'll use it for a lot of things (moving,
picking up large furniture, friends will need it etc.) and you can
make a vacation out of getting it (stop in Colorado on your way).  You
might even be able to move some stuff on your way for someone and
defray the cost a bit.

woodruff@caen.engin.umich.edu