Re: Re: Bogus Bolts

To: cobra@cdc.hp.com (Roland Dudley)
Subject: Re: Re: Bogus Bolts
From: Robert.Bownes@East.Sun.COM (Consultant to the Stars)
Date: Wed, 5 May 93 15:28:03 EDT
        Being someone who used to fly (and has flown in a performance aircraft
[read F class] that I'm now fairly sure had some sub-standard bolts in it and
the resulting terror is high) and as someone who now builds performance (read
race) cars for himself, I don't buy bolts at the hardware store anymore.
I will if I really have to, but it just isn't worth it on 2 fronts.

        1) safety. Never compromise. If you're in doubt, don't use it.

        2) cost. Subordinate to #1 at all times. Fasteners (the correct
        term to encompass nuts, bolts, studs, washers, etc) available
        at the local Value Ace HW store come from the lowest bidder. Tracing
        a bad one to the manufacturer- Hah. And the markup is very high,
        I'd venture on the order of 500-1000%. Find yourself a local fastener
        dealer and buy in bulk from them. You'll find higher quality, better
        reliability, and lower per item cost. You may find a minimum purchase
        however.