Click & Clack

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Click & Clack
From: bobj@meaddata.com (Robert Jones)
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 93 15:57:56 EDT
I'm surprised nobody posted this back when it first appeared.  Since
my MGB is currently not running, I felt now would be an appropriate
time to post it.

(Tom & Ray Magliozzi publish an automotive Q&A column under the name
Click & Clack.)

Printed without permission:
   Dear Tom and Ray:

   I'm getting ready to purchase my first automobile this summer, and I have my
heart set on an old  British  sports car.  I'd like either an MG or a Triumph
Spitfire.  However, my parents aren't exactly thrilled because they feel old
sports cars need too many repairs and are unsafe.  I just want to drive to and
from work, but I do want to know if cars like MGs and Spitfires are just a
hassle. -- Kellie

  RAY: A car like that is not just a hassle, Kellie.  It's a complete and utter
hassle, as well as a money pit, a death trap and source of continual and painful
frustration.

   TOM: But you should definitely get one, Kellie.  They're wonderful cars!

   RAY: In their favor, they are among the safest cars you can buy.  They're
always sitting in the driveway with the hood up, and you can't get much safer
than that.  And the buses you'll be taking instead do very well in the crash
tests.

   TOM: Don't listen to him, Kellie.  He has no sense of the romantic.  He
doesn't remember what it's like to cruise down the road, the roar of the
engine in your ears, the sun on your face, and the wind tangling knots in your
hair.

   RAY: Very funny.  I do remember what it's like to have hair for the wind to
tangle.  But when you painted this scene, you neglected to mention the smell of
burning oil wafting up your nostrils, and your AAA card clutched fearfully in
your sweaty palm.

   TOM: Oh, picky, picky. I've owned both of these cars, and everything my
brother says is true.  But despite that, I have nothing but wonderful memories
of them.  Go for it, Kellie.  Do it while you're young. You may never have
another chance to do anything this stupid again!

Bob