Value of TR6

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Value of TR6
From: "Steven R. Taylor" <staylor@BBN.COM>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 93 11:17:34 EDT
I've got a friend who's got the bug - he wants to get a TR6 that needs
help and spend his summer/winter getting it ready for the road.  So he
found one, but as always, trying to figur the value of such a thing is
tricky.  What do you think?

It's a '70 TR6 with some "interesting" body work.  Has had the front
fenders replaced with units from a '69.  One of the P.O.'s said it was
OK for such a swap.  Odd bits of other bodywork, but sills and posts
seem solid.  Rear chrome bumper has been " painted".  Drivers side floor
has been replaced with panel - seems solid.

Radiator leaks, but car doesn't over heat.  Evidence that battery has
boiled over recently.  Clutch hydraulics are leaking.  "Funny noise when
clutch pedal reaches the top of travel".  Oil pressure starts high then
settles down when it warms up - sounds like something clogged.

Top is not original and is not fitted well - having a couple of cracks
where it gets pinched by frame.  Interior pretty bad - cracked dash,
etc.  Needs tires.

The good news is that it runs and is actually registered in Mass, so it
passes emissions tests, such as they are.  Comes with spares from
another car, including doors, gas tank, wiring bits and a block.

Apparently '70's are hard to come by (true?) so my friend is pretty
interested.  He's sure he can get it for $2500 - question is, is it
worth that much.

Thanks,

Steve (I'll stick with my Midget)