Midget wheel bearings

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Midget wheel bearings
From: Dean_Zywicki%NIHDCRT.BITNET@CU.NIH.GOV
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 93 11:21:58 EDT
|Date: 7-12-93  11:11am
|From: Dean Zywicki:dcrt:nih
|  To: {british-cars@autox.team.net}:BITNET
|Subj: Midget wheel bearings
   In trying to track down the rather strange noise my midget has been
making, I decided to check the wheel bearings.  I had replaced them last
year, but I came across a paragraph in the Haynes manual that had me
wondering.  It said: IMPORTANT: If thte thrust markings are on the INNER
races, the marks must face away from each other, if the marks are on the
OUTER races, they must face towards each other.
    I had done tons of tapered roller wheel bearings before, but never
the ultra-modern, latest in technology rolling ball bearings.  When I
took apart the old ones, I saw that I had installed them, I put the
thrust markings facing towards each other.  This made sense when I put
them in since the races have a lip  and if I would have installed them
the other way, the bearings would be locked in forever.  On hindsight,
it seems as though I put them in backwards.  In the Moss catalog, they
say that it is truly important to put the thrust markings the right way,
or the bearing life could be measured in hours.
    So, on Saturday, I went to one of the local places to inquire about
tapered wheel bearings.  He said he knew a place to get them and he
should have them by this afternoon.
    I remember a little while ago, there was a discussion about putting
tapered bearings on midgets and I seem to remember some sort of spacer
being required.
    I feel pretty confident that this guy will actually find them for
me, so I need to know what else I need to do toget them to work right.

     Any help is greatly appreciated,
        Dean

P.S. - What is the correct way for the ball bearing bearings to be
installed?  Either Q-H brand or unipart brand.