re: Value of TR6

To: staylor@BBN.COM
Subject: re: Value of TR6
From: whs70@cc.bellcore.com (sohl,william h)
Date: 12 Jul 1993 12:10 EDT
>From BBN.COM!staylor Mon Jul 12 11:47:58 1993
>I've got a friend who's got the bug - he wants to get a TR6 that needs
>help and spend his summer/winter getting it ready for the road.  So he
>found one, but as always, trying to figur the value of such a thing is
>tricky.  What do you think?

See comments imbedded within.....

>It's a '70 TR6 with some "interesting" body work.  Has had the front
>fenders replaced with units from a '69.  One of the P.O.'s said it was
>OK for such a swap.  Odd bits of other bodywork, but sills and posts
>seem solid.  Rear chrome bumper has been " painted".  Drivers side floor
>has been replaced with panel - seems solid.

Fenders of all TR-6's are interchangeable.
Rear bumper must be a mess (prio rust, etc.) for someone to have
painted it.  New bumper or rechrome = $200+

>Radiator leaks, but car doesn't over heat.  Evidence that battery has
>boiled over recently.  Clutch hydraulics are leaking.  "Funny noise when
>clutch pedal reaches the top of travel".  Oil pressure starts high then
>settles down when it warms up - sounds like something clogged.

If your lucky, fixing the radiator = $50.  If not, upwards of $150+
Expect to put in a new battery anyway = $65
Rebuild clutch hydralics = $50 to do yourself, much more if farmed out.
Clutch peddle noise - Unknown
Oil Pressure - Typically falls off when warmed up.  If it drops
below 30 pounds at idle, expect low end bearings pretty worn.

>Top is not original and is not fitted well - having a couple of cracks
>where it gets pinched by frame.  Interior pretty bad - cracked dash,
>etc.  Needs tires.

New top = $150 if do-it-yourself.
Interior = $400+ by time you finish.  Again, higher if done by others.
Tires = at least $75 each for decent radials.

>The good news is that it runs and is actually registered in Mass, so it
>passes emissions tests, such as they are.  Comes with spares from
>another car, including doors, gas tank, wiring bits and a block.

The spares are not of much value (especially doors) unless you really
need them.

>interested.  He's sure he can get it for $2500 - question is, is it
>worth that much.

Sounds more like <$2000 to me.  Probably needs paint too.

Good luck to your friend's quest.  One positive thing, if done right,
there aren't nerely as many early restored 6's as there are post 73
cars.  That makes for a bit less competition at major concours where
6's are often divided into two or more classes.

Bill Sohl (K2UNK) BELLCORE (Bell Communications Research, Inc.)
Morristown, NJ             email via UUCP      bcr!cc!whs70
201-829-2879 Weekdays      email via Internet  whs70@cc.bellcore.com