'74 MGB Dieseling problem ?

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: '74 MGB Dieseling problem ?
From: billm@WMCBRIDE.datasys.SWRI.EDU
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 93 17:35:02 CST
My son just bought a '74 MGB which has had extensive engine work done on it,
including rebored cylinders, hard valve seats, etc.   It has about 5000 mi on
the rebuild.  Compression ratio is probably a bit over stock.

The engine rarely stops on it's own when the ign. is turned off, and requires a
brute force kill using the clutch and third gear.  We checked the run on valve,
and it seems to be "firing" when the switch is turned off.

We're both new to British cars.  What should be our next step(s)?

BTW, how does the run-on valve work to prevent "run on" ?

Thanks,

Bill McBride

Southwest Research Institute                                            or
San Antonio, TX USA   78228                                     billm@swri.edu