Re: Now a Stuck Bearing

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Now a Stuck Bearing
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: 19 Jul 1993 16:26:39 -0500 (EST)
Hi,

While I'm sure you got some replies on this, here's my $.02 worth.

I don't think you could have "welded" the inner bearing race to the spindle, if
it was hot enough to weld, you probably would have had a small grease fire. Not
only that, but the parts would have been "red hot" at the time of the incident.

Did you try using a gear puller? There are small wheel puller type devices that
are designed for this job. You might need to use some heat (more than just
propane), but it'll come off. If you are worried that the spindle (axle stub)
is bad, I'm certain that this would be an easy part to get from V.B. or
Roadster Factory as well as the local Brit-car parts place. Just make sure that
the part isn't tempered (blue or black colored after you clean it off) If it is
blued, you might consider the part a write-off and replace it.

rml