Re: Waxoyl

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Waxoyl
From: "W. Ray Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1993 13:33:55 -0400 (EDT)
In regard to Waxoyl, a writer asks where one can obtain it.  I get it from:
Brit-Tek, PO Box 1002, Londonderry, NH 03053.  Their number is (603)
437-1584 or toll free 1-800-255-5883.  A DIY kit with 5 liters of Waxoyl
and applicator is $59.95, a DIY kit with applicator and 2.5 liters is
$45.95, a 5 liter can with no applicator is $36.95.  They accept credit
card orders.

Adrian Jefferies commented that the applicator works fine once, then gums
up solid.  The applicator is admittedly a pretty crude bit of hardware
given that one pays $23 (59.95-36.95) for it.  However, the plugging may
be inevitable.  Waxoyl is a gel at 70 or 80 deg. F.  One must heat it to
apply it easily.  If the applicator isn't flushed with mineral spirits
after use, the pump will not develop enough pressure to open it later.  I
don't flush it; I heat it with an electric/quartz heater enough to liquify
the waxoyl (but *not* enough to melt the plastic applicator) and it goes
again.  It is a hassle, because laying it down while one goes for a beer
can allow it to gel.  So it is best to complete the whole job without a
beer, painful though that is, or prime your significant other to deliver
beer at intervals.

If one has an air compressor, consider Eastwood Company's #2724
Undercoating system at $42.95, which includes wands and a selection of
simple tips.  It also will plug up if you let the waxoyl solidify, but the
greater pressure and better tips atomize hot waxoyl and give good
coverage.  I think this is the way to go; it is not much more expensive
than the Waxoyl applicator.  One also needs a #2724A undercoating plastic
bottle at $1.95.  If you plan to drill (1/2 inch) holes to reach box
sections, Eastwood offers #2726 pack of 25 1/2 inch plastic plugs to fill
the holes for $2.95.  Eastwood's order number is 1-800-345-1178.

Final tip: buy a cheap plastic shower cap to wear during the job, unless
you normally use styling gel anyway.