Re: Composite Leaf Springs For MGB

To: decwrl!decvax!gatech!pwcs.stpaul.gov!phile@hoosier
Subject: Re: Composite Leaf Springs For MGB
From: megatest!bldg2fs1!sfisher@uu2.psi.com (Scott Fisher)
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 93 10:10:37 PDT
> Scott Fisher writes >
>
> >I would build them with an I-beam from the axle forward.
> >This would give a rigid suspension member effect, as the I would resist
> >torsion and flex in the front half of the spring.  This would avoid much
> >of the roll steer in stock MGBs, as well as eliminating axle tramp from
> >spring windup.
>
> If it was perfectly rigid, it would also turn your rear axle housing into the
> world's biggest sway bar.

Say... you're right!  It would, wouldn't it?  So what's that saying
about how for every problem there is a solution that is simple,
elegant, and wrong? :-)

Now I understand why Butch went to the trouble of putting in the leading
arm from the top of the diff as well as the trailing arms from the
chassis to the spring mounting blocks.  That way the axle still has
the ability to let the body roll, but it also keeps from tilting
forward or backward under torque.

Oh well...  I'm still interested in the composite leaf springs for
other reasons, primarily improved spring rate, durability and weight
reduction.  ANd if I lived somewhere that had snow and road salt, I
might be even more interested.  So what was that number again?