Re: Aston-Martins

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Aston-Martins
From: Garry Archer <archer@hsi.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1993 11:49:46 -0400
Scott Fisher #1 reminisces Aston Martins:

> Yesterday, on the way to the garden center with Kim and the girls, I
> saw an Aston Martin V8.  A sort of champagne color, subtle and lovely.
> I couldn't speak till it had slipped out of vision, ...

I am similarly in awe of this great marque...

Thanks to Scott for mentioning some of the reasons why it is my favourite.

> "Newport Pagnell?"
>
> "That's where they build Astons.  I mean, Detroit, Gotheborg, even
> Stuttgart are pretty prosaic names as places for car factories when
> you compare them to Newport Pagnell.  It might be even cooler than
> Abingdon-on-Thames, which is about as thoroughly British a name as
> it gets -- that or maybe Malvern Link, where they build Morgans."

On my recent business trip to England I drove right past Newport Pagnell
on a drive down the M1 to visit a client in Hampstead, North London.

As I saw the signs indicating the exit, I had this _incredible_ urge
to swing off the motorway to at least drive through it and seek out
this Mecca of motor cars.  It is so close to the M1 too  --- oh why,
oh why did I have to be working and have to be on schedule?

Well, I go back in August... so who knows?!!

> And it wasn't till much later that I realized I hadn't even once
> mentioned Sean Connery or Ian Fleming.

I forgot to mention in my recent England trip report that I bought
an Aston... actually, I bought two!   The first was a Corgi James
Bond car for my son.  I bought it on one of the M1 rest stops on
my way back from Hampstead -- unfortunately not the Newport Pagnell
rest stop!  Damn!  I should have thought of that...  The second was
some obscure Japanese brand, much like a Corgi, of a Virage in BRG.

The James Bond car, the DB5, is silver, had the ejector seat, machine-guns
and extended front bumpers and the pop-up bullet-proof shield to protect
the rear window.  It was much like the Corgi of years ago.  Corgi must
be remaking them or something since I haven't seen new ones in years.
It cost me L7.50 sterling.  I found one later at a toy shop for L6.95...

The Virage only cost me L1.00.  That was for me.  I picked up a modern
royal blue Lotus Elan and a silver Lotus Espirit for my two kids!  They
were only one pound each -- I expected them to be cheap junk -- I was
impressed with the quality of build, detail and weight.  The interiors were
very nice and the paint-work was exceptional.  The metalwork had been trimmed
beautifully too.  On cars that cheap there is usually a lot of flash.  Anyway,
the Virage now sits on my special shelfs at home with allsorts of other
classic model cars.

You see, I always dream of owning an Aston Martin -- a real one of course.
These little models keep my dream alive.

        Cheers!

Garry Archer Esq.       archer@hsi.com
  "Like a stately Aston Martin... With all her bravery on, and tackle trim..."
          (With apologies to John Milton who said "ship" in his original quote)