MGB Starters/Running-On

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: MGB Starters/Running-On
From: billm@WMCBRIDE.datasys.SWRI.EDU
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 93 09:11:58 CST
Thanks for the help with the problem I identified last week re: My son's "new"
'74 MGB running on.   Changing the brand of gasoline and releasing the clutch
on ignition-off seems to have eliminated the run-on to a large degree.

Next question(s):

First the starter question:

The starter wouldn't turn over the other day so, after determining that the
battery and cables to the starter seemed ok, and that the starter relay was
"apparently" ok, we pulled the starter and inspected the brushes and armature.
A couple of the brushes were short, and were burned on the contact surface.
The armature had several segments which were burned/corroded very badly.  I'm
guessing that this is probably the original starter (about 70K miles on the
car).

Can these be "reconditioned" at a reasonable cost, or should we be shopping for
a rebuilt?  Any recommendations as to sources and approximate costs
(recondition and rebuilt) would be appreciated.

Also, does pre-engaged mean that it is constantly engaged and rotates even
after starting the engine?

Second question:

There is no vacuum line attached to the advance on the distributer.  The car
was rebuilt about a year ago.  The connector on the advance mechanism is not
plugged with anything - just open.

Is this acceptable?  All the vacuum lines attached to the forward carb seem to
be accounted for.  Where would I attach a line from the distributer advance?

Thanks in advance

Bill McBride

Bill McBride
billm@wmcbride.datasys.swri.edu
Southwest Research Institute                                            or
San Antonio, TX USA   78228                                     billm@swri.edu