Re: MGB alternator

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGB alternator
From: Joe Flake <flake@d311505.atl.hp.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 93 14:26:07 EDT
A few days ago Vince Freeh wrote:
> '68 MGB ... alternator needs replacing.
>
> the original alternator has four connections.  from '69 on all
> alternators have three.
>
> i hate changing from the original and i hate electrical work.
> but Lucas does not make externally grounded alternators anymore, and
> the alternator is bad, so ...

I also have a dead alternator.  Mine on my '72 TR6.  Mine is a mechanical
(rather than electrical) failure with the bearings nicely gone to bits.
An interesting ride home.  I heard noises under the hood, raised hood to
listen and thought it was the water pump going out.  Drove home GENTLY with
noise getting louder and louder.  Turned out to be alternator rather than
water pump.  Bearings were almost seized.  Turning by hand while
shaking now results in little bits of bearing falling out!

Anyway, my first reaction was to price rebuilts from the various supply
sources (cost $85-$100 + core), but was concerned with which fit what
and what appeared to be a "generic" replacement unit.

I spoke with the Tech Support Line at TRF and asked about the replacements.
I was told that the available replacement Lucas units are rebuilt to
one of three models (replacing perhaps 6-7 original models).  The
replacements have 3 connections (early TR6s have 5 connections -- perhaps
similar to the MG's 4).  Rewiring instructions are included (if you
ask!) and a "harness" which plugs in is also available.

I also hate the idea of replacing with non-original and will persue
a local rebuild.  Bearings, etc are available from the suppliers
and I hope to find a shop which will tell me the pieces I need and
let me order them.  (Side note to folks in Atlanta:  Any experience
with local alternator rebuild shops?)

The guy at TRF indicated that they sell relatively few rebuilt units
and he suspects folks are getting their original unit rebuilt locally.
(Could also be that TRF is a few dollars more pricy than the other
suppliers for this part).

Joe Flake
joe_flake@hpatc1.desk.hp.com