Re: The saga continues [or "Wow! Is it supposed to do that?

To: Ingo_Dean@Warren.MentorG.com
Subject: Re: The saga continues [or "Wow! Is it supposed to do that?
From: phile@pwcs.stpaul.gov (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1993 09:05:29 -0500 (CDT)
Ingo_Dean@Warren.MentorG.com writes >
>The PO also didn't have keys to the trunk (woops, I meant to say
>"boot") or glove compartment.  Is there _any_ way to get them made
>from an ID number on the lock or should I replace the locks?  Where
>can I get the locks???

Take the car to a decent locksmith.  (S)he can make a key from the
lock.  I even know how they do it.  Put a lump of camphor in a dish.
Light fire to it.  It burns with a sooty flame.  Hold the key blank
in
the soot until it turns black.  Stick blank all the way into lock and
try to turn it.  Carefully remove and inspect blank.  File key by
looking at marks.  Repeat exercise many times until key works.

Have I ever done this successfully myself?  No.  That's why I have
paid locksmiths to do it.

Phil Ethier, THE RIGHT LINE, 672 Orleans St, Saint Paul, MN
55107-2676
h (612) 224-3105  w (612) 298-5324    phile@stpaul.gov
USA
"There is nothing like a complete money-is-no-object restoration.
And this is going to be nothing like one."  - Phil Ethier