Help, I blew up my midget gearbox

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Help, I blew up my midget gearbox
From: Dean_Zywicki%NIHDCRT.BITNET@CU.NIH.GOV
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 93 14:42:51 EDT
|Date: 8-3-93  2:37pm
|From: Dean Zywicki:dcrt:nih
|  To: {british-cars@autox.team.net}:BITNET
|Subj: Help, I blew up my midget gearbox
    I rebuilt my gearbox last summer  along with my engine ('76 midget).
The gearbox has been fine for ~3500 miles now.  But, last saturday it
started acting funny.  At first, it started objecting to downshifting
into 3rd.  Then, it wouldn't go into second at all.
    The whole story is, when I rebuilt it I put put all the standard
stuff in new: synchros, layshaft, laygear bearings, all the other
bearings, etc.
    I had been using Castrol hypoid gear oil and then had the bright
idea to try Redline MTL 90.  I've had that in for about a month and
everything seemed fine until saturday.  The synchros seem to just not be
working on 2nd or 3rd.
    I tried switching back to castrol and when I drained the Redline, I
saw some brass shavings from the synchros in the oil.

    My plan is to drive it around the block for awhile and see if the
synchros will free up or if they are completely dead.

    If they are dead I would like to try to run the Datsun 5-speed
conversion I saw in Hemmings one time.  I can't find the ad for it now
(of course), but I remember it was ~$600 and included a new rear engine
plate.  If anyone knows anything about this, I would really appreciate
you passing along the info.

   thanks alot,
       Dean