re: reliability

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: re: reliability
From: Atlas? I would ask him to shrug. <gr_tobin@csc32.enet.dec.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 93 13:46:02 PDT

  re: the reliability string:

    It seems you always hear about LBC's never working, being hard to
 fix, unreliable, and so on.  One thing I have seemed to notice with
 comment like the one we all seem to hear, is that the person saying it
has either never owned a brit cr, or could less about them when they
did.  Maybe their brother had one once, and it had electrical problems,
 ran funny, etc.  The brothers other car was probably a ratted out
 '73 Trans Am too.

   I have driven my trusty spitfire through a whole Boston winter, logging
 over 10,000 (yes 10,000) miles in under 5 months, with not one instance
 of trouble.  Yes, you need to check under the hood and make sure
 the gods are kept happy by by minor checking, or fiddling, and that
 takes 1/2 hour a week.

   It's like the people who rave about (insert favorite status symbol
 car), and how perfectly reliable they are, compared to that (insert
 AMC Gremlin type car) POS car they had once.   On the one car, they
 never take care of it, change oil, replace anything, they drive into
 the dirt and wonder why it doesn't last.  The other car they take in
 to see Swen or Klaus and spend big money and lots of time in the shop
 to have it last forever.  And it does.  Of course.

   My britcar is jsut as reliable, and a heck of a lot more fun than
 anything I own.  All my cars have the sme level of care, and the spitfire
 is as reliable as a brick.  No fuss, stranding at night, none of that.

  I've rambled, but it's annoying hearing it all the time.

Greg