re: reliability

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: re: reliability
From: dombey@plato.ds.boeing.com (John R Dombey)
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 93 08:56:36 PDT
Roger Peng writes:

> every time I read the British Car List, hearing about the
> problems, and everytime I look at my Jag leaking fluid in the garage,
> my enthusiasm gets dampened.

My feeling is that the BCL is a collecting point for problems and concerns,
sort of like a support group.  Interspersed with the worries are occasional
stories of good, happy experiences, but usually not as many of those as there
are problems.  It's like watching the evening news, or reading a newspaper:
how often do you see happy stuff there?  Overall, if we were to take a poll,
I'd bet that the occurence of problems for each individual is really not
that great, with some folks having more problems, and some having less.  It
will also vary with the amount of time owned/effort expended:  someone who is
just starting will undoubtedly have more questions and concerns, than one
who has been at it for 10 or 20 years.

> Damn British cars!

Ouch!  These sorts of feelings will elicit a negative response from your LBC!
It's been my experience that you have to treat them nice, and tinker with
them from time to time, even if they don't need it, just to keep them happy.
Like humans or pets, if you ignore them long enough, they will get back at
you.

> [comments about reliability deleted]

As Scott pointed out, some items can be safely ignored, until it's convenient
to get after them.  If you know the problem, and there's a work-around, it
ceases to be a problem -- it becomes a condition!  Some folks just aren't
emotionally equipped to deal with it.  Some folks love yardwork & gardening,
I can't stand 'em.

> How many of you would like to own a Triumph TR8 or a Jag XJ6 that
> requires no repair?

Well, I've got one of each, with a TR6 thrown in for good measure, and none
of them _requires_ repair  ---  At the moment!  Sure there are flaws, and
things I Really Ought To Get After (ROTGA), but they all start easily,
drive well, and look presentable.  Look around, how many 7/12/24 year-old
cars can you say that about?

Scott F. Writes:

> Could be worse.  Could be Bosch.

Roger that!  That stuff is made by people who believe they can control
events!  BTW, anyone want to by a '85 VW Jetta GLI?  100K miles, VGC overall
(considering it's 8 years old...).   I'm engaging in a little ethnic
cleansing of the stable...

The VTR convention here over the last weekend came off rather well, I thought,
but I'll let someone who was able to participate in more things that I pen
a report.  I did get to meet Bob Bownes and Chris Kantarjiev, and saw Mark
Bradakis, but didn't get a chance to talk to him.  I also didn't get to see
Bill Sohl.  Well, three faces is better than none.

John