Search for B ends

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Search for B ends
From: "W. Ray Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1993 12:22:37 -0400 (EDT)
I want to thank everyone who gave me advice to pass on to my friend Tim,
an expatriate brit looking for an LBC cheap.  He bought a 72 MGBGT with a
68 engine and overdrive, new front end bushings and brakes.  It is an
interesting shade of turquoise, which I rather like, but then I painted my
bugeye leaf green.  He says it runs extremely well, but suddenly lifting
off the gas causes the rear to wiggle; he thinks one side of the rear axle
is shifting on a spring.  The first question of the day is: is this a
common problem, and if so, what is the cause/cure?

It seems a reasonable candidate for a running restoration.  The tops of
the front wings have been bondoed in the usual place; the inner fenders
appear sound in the engine compartment.  There is a significant rust hole
in each rear sill (dogleg) just in front of the rear wheels, and bubbles
in the outer sills (the originals) beneath the doors.  Through the hole in
the outer sill just in front of the rear wheels, I can see that each inner
sill has a corresponding 2" to 3" hole in it.  The front rear spring
mounts and the metal surrounding them appear very sound, as does the floor
(Tim saw the car with the carpets out).  The jacking points seem sound.
The door gaps appear fine, with no indication anything is sagging or
misaligned.  The second question for the day is: given the additional
strength provided by the hard top, would it be reasonable and safe (if not
necessarily admirable) to weld heavy gauge patches in the rear of the
inner sills to tide the car over a few years (always assuming that sound
metal can be found to weld to)?