HELP - TR7 torque needed!

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: HELP - TR7 torque needed!
From: gall@alpha.uleth.ca (Greg Gall)
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 93 18:09:37 MDT
Hi all!

I was installing the the flexplate (the flywheel on an automatic) on my
TR7 when a bolt snapped! The Haynes manual said that the correct torque
for the flywheel to the crankshaft was 45 lb ft. This is the torque I
attempted to take the bolts to when one snapped.

Is 45 lb ft the correct torque for the bolts holding the flexplate to
the crankshaft? If so, is it a dry thread rating or lubricated? - I had
lubricated my bolts.

Also, I was reusing the origninal bolts - is it wrong to do this?

I was carefully torquing the bolts up to 45 lb ft too, by easing the the
torque up a bit at a time and doing a full round of all bolts. The one
bolts broke on my last round to take it up to 45 lb ft. I don't think
that my torque procedure is at fault (?).

At this point, I guess I will have to buy all new bolts and try again.
Could be kind of hard to find - many parts for the auto TR7 are
discontinued without a company remanufacturing them yet. Does anybody
know of a good source?

Your prompt assistance is greatly appreciated!

Greg.
--
Internet: gall@ultrix.uleth.ca

"You miss too much these days if you stop to think"
By a famous Irish poet and philosopher, Bono of the band U2, circa '91.

'76 Triumph TR7 V8 (Buick 350) Fixedhead Coupe.
'79 Triumph TR7 Auto Drophead Coupe.
'78 Mazda RX7.
'73 FIAT 128 Coupe SL 1300cc.