Re: Response and Responsibility

To: lupienj@wal.hp.com, megatest!bldg2fs1!sfisher@uu2.psi.com
Subject: Re: Response and Responsibility
From: Teriann J. Wakeman <twakeman@apple.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 93 17:01:53 -0700
Welll  Lets see,
I owned a '63 VW bug back when.  I tried commuting over a montain range,
about 70 mi daily.  It seems that the Bosh electrical connections were always
corroding & leaving me with various unworking lamps.  And Oh yes, it kept
droping the #3 exhaust valve every few months even with frquent valve adjust-
ments.

I owned a 99 SAAB EMS. Similar commute to above.  I went through a water pump
a year (normally went out in spring).  A couple of times it took out the
pump drive on an intermediate shaft (also runs distributer).   Bosh relays
and sensors were always going out.  The Bosh fuel injection system
had a persistant hicup that hundreds of dollars spent in multiple shops
with factory trained fuel injection machanics couldn't cure.

The Land Rover was in poor shape when I got it in '78.  I put about $600 in
it to get it on the road.  I put about 250K miles.  Went through a worn out
clutch, went through about 4 or 5 sets of brake shoes. replaced the
starter motor once, & the carb once (a part fell off I couldn't replace).
Went through a few "U' joints and a few oil seals.  Thats about all it took
to keep the Land Rover on the road for 15 years and about 250K miles.
This year it underwent an engine and transmission rebuild and got a new radiator
Including the latest rebuild, I have probably put less than $5K into the LR
since I purchased it as a basket case.

The TR3 ran for 3 years before I decided to swap the rust for metal.  It was
a badly neglected car that had a new paint job over rust when I got it.
I had to replace the ring & pinnion, transmission and 2 bent push rods to
get it going, but i drove it all around from the Portland All British meet
to Moss Motors near Santa Barbra, and commuted in it for 3 years without any
major problems.  My only problem now is to find time to reassemble the
rustless body & stick parts on.

The MGBGT has been in my hands now for 5 years.  Its been my dayly commute
car for the same commute that tore up the VW. I replaced the transmission
last year (Thanks Scott!) and have just been dealing with as burnt valve.
Other than that it has just kept on ticking.
Oh. I had to replace a fuel pump, and about a foot of wiring harness when
the insulation got scrapped off.

So, whats supposed to be unreliable about British cars? The Lucas stuff just
keeps on going.  Why I even put a Lucas 2 fuse block in my Ford tractor!

TeriAnn

Now, if I can just stay home long enough to put the TR back together.