1500 Gearbox

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: 1500 Gearbox
From: gerry@hostel.affil.lincroftnj.ncr.com
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 93 09:45 EDT

> The big question of the day:  Is there any way that a spitfire
> overdrive unit will fit in a midget?  The guy who has the 4 speed also
> has an OD.  I remember someone on the list talking about it a few weeks
> ago, but I never heard the results.  I've heard that it's pretty much

This is probably too late now BUT - YES the Spit OD gearbox will fit a Midget
1500, but not without a bit of transmission tunnel refabrication !
There was an article in Classic Cars/Sportcars & Classics about 6-8 years
ago detailing the operation.

BTW if you want a 5-speed gbox, why not fit the Triumph TR7 5-speed ?
I have a TR7 5-speed box, which I shall attempt to fit to my Midget 1500
sometime before the end of the year. I shall report how things go.

Gerry