Tiger motor swap

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Tiger motor swap
From: marrone@optilink.com (Frank Marrone)
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 93 14:19:52 PDT
I have a '64 Sunbeam Tiger with a worn out 260CI engine.  Rather than
rebuild the 260 I would like to install a later model 289CI engine.
Besides the obvious increase in displacement the later 289s' are much
more plentiful and the method used to guide the push rods is improved.
All 260CI Ford small blocks have a 5 bolt bellhousing while most 289s'
have the 6 bolt pattern which was introduced in early 1965.

Does anybody know which bellhousing to use so I can keep the rest of
the drivetrain stock?  What other mods if any would be required to do
this swap?  I know that cooling can be a problem in the Tiger if the
engine output is increased  much over stock.  Does anyone know about
how much increase in output it takes to cause real problems?  What can
be done to improve the cooling?

Frank Marrone at marrone@optilink.com