Re: Tiger motor swap

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Tiger motor swap
From: ajvander@sunnyboy.dazixco.ingr.com (Alain van der Heide)
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 93 10:20:29 MDT
marrone@optilink.com writes (re: swapping a 260 for a 289 in a Sunbeam Tiger):

> Does anybody know which bellhousing to use so I can keep the rest of
> the drivetrain stock?

My guess is you'll have to go to a six-bolt bh, as the five-bolt won't match
up to your engine.  I think the tranny bolt pattern is the same, so from there
on back, you shold be OK.  BTW, the according to my shop manual, 260 Tigers
came with a relatively close-ratio box, while most 289's had a wider ratio.

>  What other mods if any would be required to do
> this swap?  I know that cooling can be a problem in the Tiger if the
> engine output is increased  much over stock.  Does anyone know about
> how much increase in output it takes to cause real problems?  What can
> be done to improve the cooling?

Years ago, a friend of mine replaced his stock 260 with a highly mod'ed 289.
He added an oil cooler, hood intake scoop (for the carb) and a pair of screens
bracketing the scoop to excaust engine compartment air.  He claimed even in
traffic it rarely hit 200f, and this was in Florida.

A couple of comments.  *Do not* throw out your old engine! (but you probably
knew that).  If you change your mind and decide to rebuild, it's not that
bad.  Mine needed to be bored over, and when I asked the parts guy how long it
would take to get oversized pistons for a 260, he said "How does day after
tomorrow sound?".

BTW, the engine is back in one piece in the car, but other projects (kids,
house, etc.) have prevented me from finishing the final bits.  Hope you have
better luck.

| Alain van der Heide            |  This is the way the world ends            |
| Intergraph Electronics Products|  This is the way the world ends            |
| ajvander@ingr.com              |  This is the way the world ends            |
| (303) 581-2396                 |  Not with a bang, but with a whi

segmentation fault
core dumped

From  rwg1@postoffice.mail.cornell.edu Tue Sep 11 11:42:21 2001