Oil pressure

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Oil pressure
From: "Dan Parslow, ext. 2556" <DJP@ALPHA.SUNQUEST.COM>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1993 10:27:50 -0700 (MST)
montnaro@ausable.crd.ge.com (Skip Montanaro) writes:

> It worked! This evening I got the TR-250's engine all put back together
> (surprise! no extra pieces), filled it up with oil, and cranked it. No oil
> pressure. Hmmm. Look underneath to see where the oil must be spilling out.
> Crank it some more. Look underneath again. Crank it some more. Finally, the
> oil pressure shot up and engine revs tailed off. Now, stop and put the plugs
> in, roll it out of the garage, and fire it up.
>
> Wow! Oil pressure! Lots of oil pressure! No valve noise! Quiet as a mouse!

This is the second posting I've seen in the last week or so
describing oil pressure that is slow to manifest after a rebuild.

Are you guys remembering to prime the oil pump at reassembly?
This, I'm told, is crucial.  (Hain't rebuilt an engine yet myself.)

What a shame it would be to screw up your brand-new rebuild with
sustained dry cranking when it can so easily be avoided...

- Dan